sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012

A Microcosm of London: John Lanchester Talks About ‘Capital’ By JOHN WILLIAMS


A Microcosm of London: John Lanchester Talks About ‘Capital’

By JOHN WILLIAMS

ArtsBeat - New York Times Blog

JUNE 13, 2012

In his new novel, "Capital," John Lanchester tracks the lives of several characters living and working on one London street: a banker and his wife; a Polish house builder; a Muslim family running a shop; a teenage West African soccer star; and a political refugee who works illegally as a traffic warden, to name a few. The street's residents have been receiving notes in the mail with pictures of their own houses and the cryptic message: "We Want What You Have." In a recent interview via e-mail, Mr. Lanchester discussed fiction and nonfiction, Dickens and Tolstoy, immigration, the changing behavior of the English, and more. Below are excerpts from the conversation.
Q.
The organizing principle for the book is that its many characters all have a connection to Pepys Road, a street with houses that were mostly built in the late 19th century. What was it about that particular street that inspired you to anchor the book there?
A.
It's a fictional street - at least I thought it was, though it turns out that there are a couple of real Pepys Roads in London, none of which was my model. I was thinking of a composite of streets around near where I live in Clapham, with features and properties borrowed from all around the place. I liked the idea of a street that was a kind of microcosm of London in the same way that the city is a microcosm of the wider world.
Q.
I count about two dozen characters in the book who have at least some claim on the reader's attention and emotions, and six storylines. Can you trace all of that complexity back to one moment of genesis? A scene that came to you? Or a character?
A.
It was in the DNA of the book that it would have a large number of characters and storylines. I don't remember a single "eureka" moment when that occurred to me. The family groups were always at the heart of the book, and I don't remember there being a sequence so much as I remember all of them being there all along. I should say, it's an odd thing about the fiction writing process for me in that I often don't remember much about it; it's as if it happens in a sort of semi-dream state. Nonfiction isn't like that at all.
Q.
Your last book, "I.O.U.," was a nonfiction look into the complicated world of finance. Was it tempting to get wonkier about the financial aspects of "Capital" than you did?
A.
It might have been if I hadn't written "I.O.U." What happened was that I completed a draft of "Capital" in early 2009 and then stuck it in a drawer for a few months, as I always do when I get to that point in a book, in order to get some perspective and see it clearly before I go back to finish it. I normally promise myself that I'll do something constructive with the time - take up Pilates, write a screenplay - but instead mess around doing nothing in particular, before I wake up with a start and go back to finish the book. This time, though, I decided to use all the stuff I'd found out about the world of finance, from observing the real-life crash going on. I'd guessed that one was coming; in fact, when I started writing "Capital" in 2006, the whole shape of the book was based on the idea that one was coming. So I had a built-in interest in the bust, and I ended up writing a nonfiction account of it, and that certainly had the effect of quarantining the novel from too much detailed explanation of financial specifics. You can do a lot of things in fiction, but sustained explanation isn't one of them.
Q.
There are four subplots that involve people being in London and not feeling fully at home there. Some are there legally, some illegally, but there's an overall sense of displacement. Is the book meant to say any particularly pointed thing about immigration issues?
A.
Immigration is a huge issue in Britain at the moment, as it is in most developed societies. It speaks to me deeply as a subject, because I am a well-disguised sort of semi-immigrant myself: my father was born in Africa and brought up in Hong Kong and Australia, my mother was Irish, I was born in Germany and brought up in Asia, mainly Hong Kong, where we lived until I was 17, so although my passport and everything else about me seems straightforwardly British, I have quite a strong sense of having arrived in London from somewhere else. So that sense of displacement - which I would also argue is a fundamental feature of modernity - is something that interests me. As for immigration as a political issue, the debate here is so narrow that any portrait of it in the round is bound to seem pointed, just by being at odds with the grotesquely one-sided media version.
Q.
You write that one character, a builder named Zbigniew, "had once had a sense of the British as a moderate, restrained nation. It was funny to think of that now. It wasn't true at all." How much of that reflects your own thoughts about the country?
A.
I oscillate between thinking that something fundamental has changed in Britain, in the direction of abandoning previous restraints, and conversely that what's happened is really just the reversion to a historical character that is largely intact. The English used to be notorious in Europe for being vulgar, obsessed with money and trade, drunk, and bellicose; that changed in about 1870, when everything became buttoned-up and Victorian, but now it is changing back, at speed. So I veer about on this one.
Q.
There's something sprawling and old-fashioned about this book. The novelist Claire Messud compared it to Dickens. Did you have any models for it as you were writing?
A.
I did think about the 19th century a lot. Not Dickens so much, though I'm deeply flattered and embarrassed by the comparison, but I don't see Dickens as a realist and I had been brooding on the realist novel. I was thinking about Stendhal and Balzac and Tolstoy in particular, especially in terms of all the permissions they had that, I came to realize, I didn't feel I had. They could know anything they wanted about characters, they could tell you anything, they could go in and out of their heads at will, they could be omniscient. I thought - hang on, how come writers from over a century ago had more freedom than I do? So I gave myself a special pass to know as much as they were allowed to know.
Q.
Do you know yet what you'll be writing next? Another novel or back to nonfiction?
A.
I have a novel in mind, but I like to brood quite a lot before I start writing fiction, so I have a nonfiction project to write in the interim. Before that I'm writing a short book about the London Underground, as part of the celebrations for its 150th anniversary next year. In the course of researching it I got to fulfill a lifetime's ambition by sitting in the front of the train with the driver.

Nenhum comentário: