quinta-feira, 29 de março de 2012

Letters to Cathy by Cathy Cassidy

Letters to Cathy by Cathy Cassidy

Hello . . .
Welcome to my first non-­fiction book . . . which is really all about YOU! I think you're going to like it!
I was an agony aunt on a young teen mag for twelve years, and always wanted to write a problem-solving book to help girls get through those difficult growing-up years. I never did it, and finally 'retired' from the agony aunting as my books had really taken off . . .  .
The trouble is, I get WAY more letters and emails now than I ever did as an agony aunt, from kids who identify with characters or situations in the stories. Although I do my best to help - I even created a special help page on my website, in conjunction with the fabulous ChildLine - it's impossible to cover everything in one short email reply. A few readers suggested writing a book like this, and that seemed like the perfect answer . . . a growing-up guide for girls, Cathy-style!
As the letters and emails you've sent me over the last few years are obviously personal and confidential, for this book I have changed situations and details to protect your privacy. I've changed the names too, for obvious reasons: I flicked through my notebook and picked out some of the cool names 'donated' by readers at recent events, so if your name appears, thank you!!! (And sorry if I've 'given' you a tough problem to solve!)
To everyone who has shared their problems by letter or by email, thanks for trusting me, for being brave enough and smart enough to ask for help. Thanks for inspiring this book, whatever your worries - whether it's friends, family, boys, confidence, school or something else completely - I hope you will find some answers here!
Growing up is not a picnic . . . it can be tough, it can be testing, it can even turn your world upside down. I know, I was a teenager once too . . . and yes, I made just about every mistake in 'the book!!!
You know what, though? In spite of it all, life is good. Being a teen - or pre-teen - is pretty cool. You are on the edge of something truly amazing, creating a life for yourself from scratch. You're a work in progress!
I hope this book can make it a little easier for you. Read it, and think about the ideas you find inside. Learn from your mistakes, get inspired, start dreaming, make some changes. Anything is possible, everything is still to play for . . . and yes, dreams really can come true.
That's a promise!
Cathy xxx

http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/spotlight.cfm?SBN=9780141328942&Page=Extract

Nenhum comentário: